Wednesday 5 May 2010

Now I'm not one to express my political opinions (as they are well off most people's radar) but I have just met a CANDIDATE in a parliamentary election - a real one !!!. Now the last and only time this happened was in 1979 when the Tories were trying to get Waveney Valley - one of their famous wets Jim Prior and it was really his wife and not the man himself who rolled up in his/her Range Rover to canvass. I was painting my garden gate and hence Tory fodder as I was obviously an owner occupier. This time it was the Lib Dem candidate and current MP for Argyll and Bute who was actually on Gigha on the eve of poll. Alan Reid was polite not pushy, did not directly ask for my vote, and otherwise answered my questions about a hung parliament with candour. Now there are less than 100 voters on Gigha so it is quite something for our wee island to get this individual attention. Eve of poll I'd expect him to be in Campbeltown or Lochgilphead (or other big metropolis). I am impressed that the only time since I first voted in 1974 I have actually seen a candidate on the stump and it is in the most remote place I have lived from the centre of political life in Westminster. I have met a few MPs - Michael Meacher when I was a teacher in Oldham and on strike in 1985. I also met Stephen Byers at a rally in the mid 80s (wow, what a smoooth talker and arrogant even then) when he was leader of North Tyneside council before he was an MP and Giles Radice who was my MP when I lived in County Durham. The Labour Scottish minister Des Browne came to Gigha a couple of years ago too on his summer tour of the Highlands.
Anyway we already voted last week as we have postal votes.
Managed to get 20 bags cement in back of Ford Focus estate as the Cabstar is awaiting a new starter motor

No comments:

Post a Comment