Sunday 9 October 2011

goodbye and thanks for all the fish

Last day on the fish farm today. At least it rained both yesterday and today so I didn't miss any concreting time. I've done casual and relief work there for two and a half years but as it is the worst paid of my jobs and becoming increasingly difficult to fit in alongside the build it had to go. It has over 750,000 salmon and produces over 4,000 tonnes of fish each cycle. The work is pretty physical and often involves long and thankless shifts at short notice. My longest shift was 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. harvesting- and that with barely a break. Also worked 7 p.m. to 7.a.m. when we were grading which was actually a lovely starry night. I've been fortunate in being able to sample the product fresh and it is pretty good. All fish should be slightly undercooked, but I find it hardest to undercook salmon for some reason. Like yacht deliveries (another job I've done in my 50s) it is really a young man's job. Not sure if I'll miss it or not as I really like working on the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment